Arthritis and Chiropractic Care
Arthritis is an inflammation that occurs in your joints, characterized by stiffness and pain. There are over 100 types of arthritis, but the common ones include osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Arthritis is commonly seen in adults above 65 years old, but is also found among teens, young adults, and children.
Since arthritis is a painful condition, seeking treatment is crucial. At Elite Integrated Medical Centers, located in Ellenton, FL, we have experienced chiropractors who will diagnose your condition and administer the right treatment.
Depending on the type of arthritis you have, symptoms may vary. Some of the common symptoms across most types of arthritis include:
- Redness around joints
- A decrease in range of motion
These symptoms are usually worse in the morning or when it is colder.
If you are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, you may feel tired and lose appetite. It is also possible to become anemic or have fevers or joint deformities if the condition is not treated.
A person gets osteoarthritis when the cartilage at the end of bones wears and tears. Cartilage is a hard, slick cushion at the end of bones that prevents friction between bones during joint motion. When the cushion is damaged, bones grind on each other, causing extreme pain.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a result of your body’s immune system attacking the lining of a joint. When it happens, the lining (synovial membrane) swells and becomes inflamed.
Several things may put you at an increased risk of arthritis development. These include:
- Age: As you age, you become more susceptible to contracting arthritis.
- Obesity: Being heavier can put more stress on knee joints, hip joints, and your spine. Ultimately, you may develop pain and joint swelling.
- Family history: Some types of arthritis run in families. If your parent suffers or suffered from the condition, it is likely that you might too. Your genes may be susceptible to specific environmental factors that might trigger arthritis.
- Sex: Females are likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis, while males are likely to contract gout, which is another type of arthritis.
Our experienced chiropractor can treat various forms of arthritis. While treatment varies based on your individual condition, there are several methods that usually help arthritis symptoms. Manipulation can relieve joint pain resulting from arthritis. Massage therapy can also reduce tension and stress in the body. Electric nerve stimulation and acupuncture are other methods for treating arthritis.
Start Your Arthritis Treatment
If you are suffering from arthritis symptoms, chiropractic care can help. At Elite Integrated Medical Centers in Ellenton, FL, we are dedicated to helping you live a healthy and pain-free life. Call our office today to schedule your appointment.